The Iowa Occupational Safety and Health Advisory Council (IOSHAC) is offering five scholarships to deserving Iowa college students. One scholarship of $3000, two scholarships of $2250, and two scholarships for $500 will be granted to five selected students during the Iowa Governor’s Occupational Safety and Health Conference on November 1st and 2nd. The conference will be conducted at The Meadows Events & Conference Center, Altoona, Iowa.
Eligibility: To be eligible you must:
- Be a student enrolled in an Iowa college program during the fall semester of 2021 or work in the state of Iowa and enrolled in a college program
- Have completed at least one (1) year of previous higher education or demonstrated work experience directly related to occupational injury and illness prevention, occupational health and safety or occupational health and safety management.
- Have completed at least 6 credit hours of courses related to occupational injury and illness prevention, occupational health and safety or occupational health and safety management.
- Your major program of study must be directly related to occupational injury and illness prevention, occupational health and safety or occupational health and safety management. Select examples of major program of study that are eligible would include:
- Industrial Hygiene
- Occupational Safety
- Occupational Medicine
- Safety & Health Management
Application review: The application review process utilizes a written application (including short narrative). Scholarship applicants will be evaluated on a variety of criteria including grade point average, grade classification, communication skills, professionalism, and narrative statement.
Letters of Recommendation: For your application to be considered, you need to secure two letters of recommendation. One letter should be from a faculty reference and the other should be from a non-family personal reference (e.g. current or former employer, club leader, etc.). Letters of recommendation should be sent directly from your references to the IOSHAC (see the “How to apply” section for contact information). You are responsible to verify that the letters of recommendation are submitted by the application deadline. Late submission or missing letters of recommendation will be considered as an incomplete application and will not be reviewed.
Deadline for applying: Applications and letters of recommendation must be received by the Iowa Occupational Safety and Health Advisory Council by the end of business day on Friday, October 8, 2021.
Notification: Scholarship award recipients will be notified by October 22, 2021. Scholarship recipients are strongly encouraged to attend the 2021 Iowa Governor’s Safety & Health Conference in Altoona, Iowa, November 1 & 2 to formally receive the awards.
How to apply: Applications & letters of recommendation must be submitted by the end of business day on Friday, October 8, 2021. Submit your application package via email to
Questions: Questions regarding the Application for Scholarship may be directed to Steve Flann, Scholarship & Award Committee Chair, at 641-629-1754 or firstname.lastname@example.org.