Safe and Sound Week August 13 – 19, 2018
What Is Safe + Sound?
OSHA’s Safe + Sound Campaign is a nationwide opportunity to raise awareness and understanding of the value of proactive occupational safety and health (OSH) programs in all workplaces. This year, Safe + Sound Week begins Aug. 13 and is the culmination of the larger campaign, when we celebrate safety professionals and volunteers for their contributions to protecting American workers.Safe + Sound emphasizes the need for safety programs at small- and mid-sized businesses, which are more likely to go without due to their relatively limited resources. As ASSP members know, effective OSH programs can help organizations identify and manage workplace risk before they cause injury or illness, improving sustainability and the bottom line. Safety and health management systems are a critical best practice to ensure that OSH programs achieve significant results and lower risk exposure.OSH management plans are what OSH professionals do, who we are at our best and how we help employers best protect workers’ lives. Standards such as ANSI/ASSP Z10 and ISO 45001 and guidelines like OSHA’s Recommended Practices for Safety and Health Programs are at their core a calling card that OSH professionals can use to start conversations with employers about safety and health and to build opportunities to advance safety in specific workplaces.
How Can You Advance Safety in Your Member Community?
- Participate in Safe + Sound Week, whether you’re launching a new program in your organization or seeking to energize an existing one
- Read OSHA’s selection guide and start planning your activities
- Volunteer to engage a small or mid-sized business in establishing an OSH management system. You can find various resources, including sample plans, on OSHA’s website
- Use the week as a platform to revisit key elements of your own OSH management system, whether you use ANSI/ASSP, ISO 45001 or a similar scheme
- Sign up to receive e-mail updates on resources for hosting events on the Safe + Sound website
Easy-to-Use Templates for ASSP Member Communities
- Sample press release (Word document)
- Sample proclamation (PDF)
- Public relations tips (PDF)
- Member community activity suggestions (PDF)
- Cover memo (PDF)
- Outreach sample (PDF)
- Safe + Sound campaign presentation (PDF)
- Safe + Sound Week timeline (PDF)
- Recruiting talking points (PDF)
- Safe + Sound participant badge (Solid, PNG)
- Safe + Sound participant badge (Transparent, PNG)
- Safe + Sound Week map
- Digital toolkit for partners